The Albany Regional Multimodal Center & US 20 / OR 99E Interchange projects restored a local cultural treasure, the historic Albany Train Depot Building, and provided the region with an attractive park setting for the new multimodal transportation center that serves as a critical transportation hub for the City.
The project is located in the historic downtown area and the rehabilitation of the depot building was a key component of the project. Built in 1908, the building was constructed using un-reinforced concrete blocks. The seismic rehabilitation of the building included installation of steel reinforcement grouted into the hollow cells of the concrete block, a new plywood roof diaphragm over the existing wood roof truss framing, a new interior shear wall and positive attachment of the walls to the roof framing and foundation.
This project also included design of the new railroad platform canopies, transit center shelter structures and site retaining walls. Site improvements included underground water, sewer and storm drain upgrades; disposal and treatment of petroleum contaminated soil and ground water; removal of underground fuel oil storage tanks; removal of hazardous material from four existing buildings; and construction of paving and walks, several acres of landscaping and irrigation, bike racks, drinking fountains, bus shelters, benches and an 85-foot high clock tower. In addition, improvements were made to adjacent highways, intersections, access roadways, multiuse and pedestrian pathways, and major utility infrastructure serving the project area.